Dunfermline Athletic

Fixtures : Dundee United

Tue, 10th Mar 2015 Kick Off: 14:00

U20s v Dundee United

Tuesday, 10th Mar 2015

SPFL Development League: Ryan Wallace started but had to be subbed after 39 minutes. Harry Souter (86) 0-1;


A fine Tuesday afternoon at the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie saw the return of Ryan Wallace to competitive action for virtually the first time since a year past February, unfortunately his return did not go as desired. Gregor Buchanan, Ryan Williamson, Shaun Byrne and Faissal El Bakhtaoui all found themselves in the U20 team that faced Dundee United.

The 'away' team had the first shot on target in the first minute but that was successfully blocked. The Pars attacked down the left and Cammy McClair made good ground before he was dispossessed inside the penalty box before he could release a pass.

Wallace was brought down on the edge of the box after good work from McClair. Wallace took the free kick but the United defence beat that away. In nine minutes El Bakhtaoui despatched an effort high over the bar and three minutes later Byrne tried a shot from the right but it went wide left without troubling the keeper.

A long diagonal ball to Williamson on the right was played to Byrne but he was dispossessed in the box. El Bakhtaoui had a shot blocked and at the other end United's Scott Smith shot over the bar.

A good move involving Wallace, Williamson, Byrne, El Bakhtaoui ended up with the United keeper nicking it off Wallace before he could convert. Ola Adeyemo headed over in 21 minutes when a free kick picked him out. United had another good chance three minutes later when Adeyemo sent Robbie Muirhead in on the left but he shot wide left.

A 29th minute corner sent over from the left by Mercer was met by Buchanan but his powerful header went a yard wide right. Next a Mercer free kick from the edge of the box travelled to the far side but El Bakhtaoui's return was blocked.

Ten minutes from the break a Smith cut back was fired wide of the target by El Bakhtaoui. Still Dunfermline enjoyed plenty possession but play stopped in 37 minutes when Wallace required the attentions of physio Kenny Murray. The striker walked off holding his right hip and had to be subbed by James Thomas.

In 43 minutes El Bakhtaoui slipped the ball to Smith but his powerful shot from the right was saved by the keeper. United finished the half with a corner from the right. Brad Smith's delivery was met by Euan Spark's glancing header that fortunately travelled on wide of the left post.

Half time: Dunfermline 0 Dundee United 0

Bright sunshine welcomed the teams back out and Jamie Montgomery got in the first attempt on goal of the second half but Jamie Wilson saved without a problem. The second of two United corners in 51st minute led to a bit of a scramble in front of the Pars goal but the defence got the ball away.

Adeyemo and Coute combined to create further pressure on the Pars defence only eased when Smith drove in from the right, releasing Williamson whose cross then found McClair on the far left but the full back dived in to block the shot.

A long through ball from his own half from O'Kane sent Thomas into the box and Harry Souter did enough to prevent the shot and El Bakhtaoui could only force the corner. Unfortunately that was not successful. McClair then played El Bakhtaoui in behind the right side of the United right but dwelt too long before cutting the ball back and the chance was gone.

A dispossession and then an interception gave United chances to break but the Pars defence did its job. Gavin McMillan replaced Shaun Byrne as the match entered its final quarter.

There was a near thing in 71 minutes when Brad Smith's pass to Robbie Muirhead on the edge of the box was fired on to the crossbar and over. O'Kane cleared when Mattie Smith produced a good cross from the left while at the other end Zwick held Smith's well connected shot.

With ten minutes remaining Allan Smith got caught and required Kenny Murray to attend him. Smithy limped off but was able to continue. El Bakhtaoui got the break off Scott Smith and advanced through on goal. Cammy Ballantyne covered across sliding in to concede a 83rd minute corner. Mercer sent that over from the right but O'Kane's header cleared the crossbar.

Dunfermline really did not deserve to lose this game but in 86 minutes Harry SOUTER arrived at speed to convert Ali Coute's corner in from the left.

Jamie Wilson did extremely well in 88 minutes to keep out Montgomery and after the clash the United no.7 required treatment before the match resumed.

A Mercer corner in 92nd minute saw the ball flicked on from McMillan to Buchanan to thomas but United kept that out. Disappointing result after such a good first half.

- - Listen to post match thoughts of coach Andy Barrowman

DUNFERMLINE: Jamie Wilson, Ryan Williamson, Declan O'Kane, Gregor Buchanan, Scott Mercer, Finn Graham, Faissal El Bakhatoui, Shaun Byrne (Gavin McMillan 68), Cammy McClair (Jordan Orru 76); Allan Smith, Ryan Wallace (James Thomas 39).
SUBS NOT USED: Cammy Gill (GK), Paul Joseph Crossan.

DUNDEE UNITED: Luis Zwick; Euan Spark, Darren Petrie, Scott Smith, Cammy Ballantyne, Harry Souter, Jamie Montgomery, Brad Smith, Ola Adeyemo (Mattie Smith 61), Robbie Muirhead, Ali Coute
SUBS NOT USED: Chris McLauchlin, Jamie Robson, Greg McNaughton, Euan Horne, Aaron Duke.
SCORERS: Souter (86)


NEXT MATCH: (away) v Celtic. Monday 16th March 2015, 7.00pm kick off at Cappielow

Views : 6,584

Related Stories

ParsTV Highlights To Follow for First team matches.

Match Photos To Follow.

Advertisement :
  • /files/KiltCompany_280_2285.jpg
  • files/Specialist_Cars_RHS_Aug_19_6755.jpg
  • /files/RHS_Web_Advert_4477.jpg
  • /files/youngpars_2016_9593.jpg

To top