Dunfermline Athletic

Fixtures : 2006-2007 : Celtic

Sat, 26th May 2007 Kick Off: 15:00

Dunfermline 0 Celtic 1

Saturday, 26th May 2007

Pars put up great Cup final fight at Hampden but it wasn`t to be.

How strange it was that the team relegated from the SPL and their supporters travelled to Hampden Park for the showpiece of the Scottish football season, the Tennents Scottish Cup final. 52 points may have separated the clubs when the line was drawn on the league season but the Pars unbelievable cup form gave them much optimism that champions Celtic could be the final victim of Stephen Kenny`s side.

Kenny was keen to rewrite the history books; to have cup victories recorded on colour television even though it was still a black and white success that he sought. His selection raised the usual eyebrows bringing in Scott Morrison for his first match since before the semi final. Scott Muirhead was pushed further forward and Mark Burchill and Scott Wilson returned to the team in the other changes from the side that disposed of Hibs in the semi final replay.

Celtic made two changes from their semi final side; Jean-Joel Perrier Doumbie and Kenny Miller being handed starting places in preference to Gary Caldwell and Derek Riordan.

Prior to kick off Jim Leishman and Rod Stewart paraded the prized trophy to the fans and at that stage the Fifers support was certainly ahead on the flag waving. As the teams emerged to the deafening din of the National Stadium`s PA system flares and fireworks rose from the far side of the pitch. The Pars grouped for a pre kick off team picture as the large T symbol that covered the centre circle was carried away.

The captains met and took the toss with the match officials before both sides went into a huddle.

The teams changed ends before Miller and Vennegoor of Hesselink kicked the game off. de Vries was the first keeper to take a touch clearing a first minute pass back.

A Nakamura corner on two minutes was ably fisted clear. Within the minute a Muirhead clearance gave Jim McIntyre an opening as he ran on to the ball. A great diagonal run by Mark Burchill gave McIntyre the opportunity to play the former Celtic striker into the penalty box but his left footed shot from 12 yards was low and wide of the right post.

In 8th minute Paul Hartley squeezed out Burchill as he threatened to break into the box on to another good Muirhead pass. Celtic pressed and the Pars defence was relieved to see Nakamura push the ball too far ahead of him and out for a goal kick. Five minutes later Kenny Miller evaded the offside trap and Wilson tracked him back close enough to allow de Vries to come diving out at the striker`s feet.

Celtic then survived a narrow escape when McIntyre dispossessed McManus on the right edge of the penalty box and yet again the defence had to put in a telling tackle to deny Burchill. Celtic were the first side to put the ball in the net but fortunately Hartley fouled de Vries as he went for it and although the Celtic crowd erupted to greet Nakamura`s touch in Kenny Clark was in no doubt that the big Dutch keeper had been held down.

Clark then deemed that Lee Naylor had pushed Burchill as he ran on to long through ball. The 25th minute free kick was awarded in a central position 35 yards out. Hammill and Morrison stood over the ball as the defensive wall was formed but it was the latter who took the strike that skimmed off the net as it headed towards the ball boys.

On the half hour Kenny Miller created the best chance of the match so far. Spinning to deceive Scott Wilson he sent in a wicked delivery that Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink headed wide from eight yards. Dunfermline responded playing the ball across the face of the Celtic box from Hammill on the right to Muirhead and then Young laying off for Morrison but still there was no way through.

The first yellow card was shown to Aiden McGeady for a nasty tackle on Greg Shields and after the resulting free kick was sent in by Hammill it was Scott Wilson who returned it for Morrison to tee up Burchill with a header but still Boruc was not tested. Burchill was showing supreme effort but was punished for his over enthusiastic tackle on Perrier Doumbe in 36 minutes.

Three minutes from the break de Vries held well from an inswinging Nakamura corner from the right. The first half performance gave the Dunfermline fans great heart and it was their end that was on song as the first 45 minutes expired having just attacked their first corner of the final and then seen Scott Morrison drive a yard wide on the whistle.

Half Time: Dunfermline 0 Celtic 0

The second half started promisingly for the underdogs. McIntyre forcing a corner in 90 seconds and Young winning another with a deflection on his shot from Boruc`s punched clearance. Celtic woke up a bit and caused some good defending and a McGeady break on the left setting up Miller for diving header on 50 minutes that de Vries did well to hold.

Six minutes later an Adam Hammill break that included a cheeky lift of the ball over Neil Lennon, was blocked by Steven Pressley earning him a yellow card and allowing the Pars to flight in a free kick that Souleymane Bamba came close to turning in at the far post. Craig Beattie came on for Kenny Miller as the Hoops looked to turn the pressure off themselves and on to the Pars.

On the hour McIntyre`s hard work created a shot for Young but a defender took the sting out of the shot and Boruc gathered. At the other end Gordon Strachan got the attacking play he was seeking win Lee Naylor speeding in from the left, playing the ball off Vennegoor of Hesselink before driving a vicious shot from 16 yards that de Vries saved.

Neil Lennon`s substitution in 66th minute stunned the Celtic faithful and it was sad really to see him storm straight up the tunnel without acknowledging the support. The Lennon final had ended .

Bamba`s 71st minute tackle kept Celtic out and then Stevie Crawford was introduced for Scott Morrison just as Burchill almost robbed a pass back off Boruc. Stevie`s third Scottish Cup final in four seasons could it be third time lucky?

Crawford laid the ball back for captain Shields to swing over a lengthy ball to the far post where McIntyre rose above Pressley but his header was destined for the sidenetting. Bamba again made a wonderful headed clearance in 77 minutes to deny Vennegoor of Hesselink getting on the end of a Nakamura cross.

Craig Beattie then looked as though he was going to spoil Dunfermline`s afternoon. With ten minutes left his driving run in from the left set him up for a powerful shot that skimmed across the face of the goal. Still Dunfermline took it back to Celtic and a free kick 40 yards out was lifted into the Celtic box by Hammill but no one could get get in the header that would have given the already loud Pars support even more to shout about.

Instead it was the Celtic support who erupted in 85 minutes when Jean-Joel PERRIER DOUMBE started and finished a move that broke the deadlock. He pushed the ball wide right before nipping in front of Shields to send the deflected cross into the far corner of the net despite the efforts of de Vries and Bamba on the line.

The 19 year old Iain Williamson came on for Mark Burchill but as the minutes drifted away Celtic with the lead played with confidence and held out for what was certainly not one of their most comfortable wins of the season. Hard lines Pars; they fought well and gave their fans plenty of optimism for so long. Darren Young was named Tennent`s Man of the Match. No historic victory then for the brave runners up. Until the next time then.

Stephen Kenny Post Final
Scott Wilson Post Final
Dorus de Vries Post Final
Jamie McCunnie Post Final
Darren Young Post Final
DAFC Open Day 27/05/07

CELTIC: Artur Boruc; Jean-Joel Perrier Doumbe, Steven Pressley, Stephen McManus, Lee Naylor; Shunsuke Nakamura, Neil Lennon (Gary Caldwell 66), Paul Hartley, Aiden McGeady; Kenny Miller (Craig Beattie 56), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink
SUBS NOT USED: Michael McGovern, Darren O`Dea, Derek Riordan, Teddy Bjarnsson
SCORERS: Perrier Doumbe (85)
YELLOW CARD: McGeady (32), Perrir Doumbe (36), Pressley (56)

DUNFERMLINE: Dorus de Vries; Greg Shields (c), Souleymane Bamba, Scott Wilson, Scott Morrison (Stevie Crawford 72); Adam Hammill, Darren Young, Jamie McCunnie, Scott Muirhead; Mark Burchill (Iain Williamson 89), Jim McIntyre (Jim Hamilton 80).
SUBS NOT USED: Phil McGuire, Roddy McKenzie (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Burchill (36)

REFEREE: Kenny Clark
WEATHER: Bright, Breezy 14°C


Views : 4,181

ParsTV Highlights To Follow for First team matches.

Check out the Gallery for more photo's -- the images below will scroll through automatically.


Preview Celtic

Wednesday, 23rd May 2007

The Scottish Cup Final Countdown. Pars determined to make 2007 a year to remember.

Ticket Information

Dunfermline v Celtic 10/12/06

This Saturday Dunfermline Athletic return to take centre stage at Hampden Park for their second Scottish Cup final appearance in four seasons. Given the disappointing SPL season that culminated in cruel relegation in Inverness, the achievement in reaching the final, and the manner in which they got there, is cause for celebration.  Should the Pars` remarkable 2007 Scottish Cup form continue there`s no reason why the trophy shouldn`t be coming back to Fife on Saturday evening.

The History

The first time the Pars got to the final was way back in 1961 under the stewardship of the legendary Jock Stein. An outstanding display from goalkeeper Eddie Connachan, took the game against Celtic to a replay, and when the teams met again four days later, the keeper was once again on top form. Goals from David Thomson and Charlie Dickson in the last 23 minutes of the game meant that the cup was on its way to Dunfermline for the first time.

1961 Cup Winners

Five years later and Celtic once again provided the opposition at Hampden. This time Jock Stein was in charge of the Celts, with Willie Cunningham manager of Dunfermline . Harry Melrose gave Dunfermline the lead in 15 minutes after Jim Fallon the Celtic keeper had failed to deal with a Willie Callaghan cross. Bertie Auld equalised for Celtic in 31 minutes, before John McLaughlin restored the Athletics` lead just before half time with a superb 20 yard shot following a Melrose free-kick. The second half belonged to Celtic, and Auld scored his second to equalise, and then with just nine minutes remaining Billy McNeill scored the winner from a Gallagher corner.

Scottish Cup Final v Hearts 1968

Another three years passed and under George Farm the Pars were back again in final, playing Hearts this time. After a goalless first half, Pat Gardner shot the Athletic into the lead in 56 minutes, which was followed three minutes later by a penalty from Ian Lister to put the Fifers two up. John Lunn turned the ball past his own goalkeeper to give the Edinburgh team some hope, but three minutes later Pat Gardner scored with a magnificent volley that flew past Jim Cruickshank in the Hearts goal to seal the Pars` second Cup win.

Andrius Skerla puts Pars in the lead

In 2004 Jimmy Calderwood took us on a magical journey to the final for the first time since George Farm`s achievement thirty-six years before.  It was a fantastic Cup Final that matched the magnificent sunny May afternoon; an extremely entertaining match fit for such a great occasion. The Pars went one up through an Andrius Skerla header but the scourge of DA, Henrik Larsson capped his last competitive appearance for Celtic with two second half goals that killed off the dreams of the Fifers. Petrov added a third six minutes from time and it was not to be a historic third Cup win for the Pars.

Dunfermline Athletic - Previous Cup Finals Appearances
Date Opposition

F - A

 Pars Scorers


0 - 0
2 - 0
Thomson, Dickson
24/04/65 Celtic 2 - 3 Melrose , McLaughlin


3 - 1 Gardner 2, Lister (p)
22/05/04 Celtic 1 - 3 Skerla

The 2006-07 Scottish Cup

Celtic have had a much easier route to the Final with comfortable wins over Dumbarton and Livingston. They got a fright at Inverness when it took late goals from Steven Pressley and Kenny Miller to see them past Caley Thistle and then of course St Johnstone made it tricky for them in the Semi Final.

The Scottish Cup has been a very welcome relief for Dunfermline this season.  Their cup win over Rangers came in the midst of a record equalling nine league matches without scoring. Three goals up against Ian Durrant`s men, Dunfermline held on to take on Hearts in the following round. A late late goal from Scott Wilson against Hearts kept the dream alive.  Partick didn`t make it easy but the win was comfortable enough in the end. Next the semi final; 178 minutes of football and then a Jim McIntyre penalty prevented the match going into extra time and sent the Pars into the final where Celtic awaited them.

The Road to Hampden 2007

Round 3 Rangers (H) 3-2 Dumbarton (H) 4-0
Round 4 Hearts (H) 1-0 Livingston (A)


Round 5 Partick Thistle (H) 2-0 Inverness Caley Th (A)


Semi Final Hibernian (N) 0-0 St Johnstone (N)


Semi Final Hibernian (N)



Many would say that for claiming the scalps that they have taken on their way to the final, Dunfermline already deserve the Cup. To defeat the Edinburgh sides, the Cup holders and CIS Insurance Cup holders, the mighty Glasgow Rangers and the thorny Partick, Dunfermline have certainly reached the final the hard way. Glasgow Celtic stand between them and a remarkable piece of history.

Celtic`s poor run of results that has seen them lose six, draw one and only win four in the 11 matches since Dunfermline lost 2-1 to them at Celtic Park at the beginning of March. Dunfermline in the same time have played 11 games.  Their record is lost three, drawn two and won six. Up until the defeat at Inverness they were the form team in the SPL but it remains to be seen how they will compensate for the suspended Gary Mason, cup tied Tam McManus and Stephen Glass and the Celtic denied Jim O`Brien.

Semi Final Line Ups

DUNFERMLINE (replay v Hibs): Dorus de Vries; Greg Shields (c), Souleymane Bamba, Phil McGuire, Scott Muirhead; Jim O`Brien (Owen Morrison 69), Darren Young (Mark Burchill 77), Jamie McCunnie, Gary Mason, Adam Hammill (Greg Ross 89); Jim McIntyre.
SUBS: Roddy McKenzie (GK), Freddie Daquin.
YELLOW CARD: Mason (52), Hammill (83)
SCORER: McIntyre (87 pen)

CELTIC (v St Johnstone): Artur Boruc; Gary Caldwell, Steven Pressley, Stephen McManus, Lee Naylor (Darren O`Dea 89); Shunsuke Nakamura (Thomas Gravesen 78), Neil Lennon, Paul Hartley, Aiden McGeady, Derek Riordan (Kenny Miller 65), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink
SUBS NOT USED: Craig Beattie, Michael McGovern
SCORER: Vennegoor of Hesselink (13 pen, 54)

Stephen Kenny is now one of an elite group of five managers who have taken the Pars to a Scottish Cup final. A win against Celtic this weekend and SK will join an even more select group and having won the FAI Cup in the Republic of Ireland with Derry City in November complete a unique double in cup successes.  Do us and the Manager proud boys!

The wins in 61 and 68 were marked by scenes of unbridled jubilation, with the team and cup parading down the High Street in an open-top bus. Should Dunfermline win on Saturday an open top bus is reserved for Sunday afternoon.


Views : 3,865

Advertisement :
  • /files/KiltCompany_280_2285.jpg
  • files/Specialist_Cars_RHS_Aug_19_6755.jpg
  • /files/5998_Lifeline.jpg
  • /files/promoDisplay_1249.jpg

To top