Dunfermline Athletic

Fixtures : 2020-2021 : Clyde

Sat, 14th Nov 2020 Kick Off: 15:00

Dunfermline 3 Clyde 2

Saturday, 14th Nov 2020

Betfred Cup: Gill, Bowman, Dow and O ‘Hara start. Ally Love (35) 0-1: Mark Lamont (51) 0-2: Kevin O’Hara (60 pen.) 1-2: Declan McManus (87) 2-2: Paul Watson (90+1) 3-2:

For an uncomfortable first hour of this match it looked like the Bully Wee were going to record their first win at East End Park since March 1974 but two late goals turned defeat into victory.

Clyde were visitors to East End Park for the first time in ten years for this the final group match in the Betfred Cup.

Dunfermline needed one point to top the group but had their eye on three points to top the group and become one of the four group winners who could still achieve maximum points and be seeded in the draw for the next round.

Keeper Owain Fôn Williams and Lewis Mayo were away on international duty with Wales and Scotland U21s so Cammy Gill came in for his second start of the season and 19 year old Matty Bowman came in at right back for his first ever senior start.

Other changes made by Stevie Crawford were to start Ryan Dow and Kevin O’Hara. Making way for them were Steven Whittaker and Kyle Turner who were on the bench.

Clyde manager Danny Lennon made two changes from the team that lost to Kilmarnock in midweek and they were also at goalkeeper and right back. Matej Vajs, a 20 year old Slovakian keeper, and Craig Howie replaced David Mitchell and Jamie Bain.

Clyde kicked off attacking the goal at the McCathie Stand end but the first chance came at the other end when Dow sprinted away from Matthew Shiels to centre for O’Hara in front of goal but he did not get the necessary connection.

Fraser Murray sent in a free kick from the left that just evaded Euan Murray before Bowman won a corner on the right. F Murray delivered it but Martin McNiff headed clear.

A F Murray cross from the left in 16 minutes again set up O’Hara and his attempt was blocked with Vajs gathered the ball as Declan McManus challenged for it.

The Slovakian keeper held a McManus cross while at the other end Gill held an Ally Love cross from the right. When Bowman broke up the right in 31 minutes he executed a superb pass to by pass the defence and set up McManus. Unfortunately only another two corners came from it and the keeper held the second.

Ten minutes from half time Clyde struck against the balance of play. From a Vajs goal kick two Clyde headers caused Iain Wilson to lob the ball back towards his defenders but Ross Cunningham got the better of Euan Murray and was able to tee up LOVE who evaded Josh Edwards challenge to fire a low left footed shot into the bottom right. 0-1

F Murray shielded the ball out to win a corner on the left but Scott Rumsby deflected that behind for a corner on the right. That was taken short but Murray to Dow, Bowman and back to Murray. In space on the right side of the box the on loan Hibbee picked out O’Hara but his 38th minute header was kept out by the left upright.

Dow supplied McManus with a 43rd minute chance but his shot from an angle on the right was all too easily held by Vajs. Half time arrived with Dunfermline showing 57% possession, six corners and nine shots four of which had been on target but Clyde with one on target shot out of three went back into the East Stand with the interval lead.

Half time: Dunfermline 0 Clyde 1

Dunfermline came out and attacking the League One side with Bowman making a fine run up the right to cross in another good ball but the keeper got to it before McManus. Next McManus and McInroy got in shots but both were blocked.

Things had not gone the Fifers way but it got worse when the Bully Wee increased their lead. Just six minutes Mark LAMONT won possession from a Dunfermline throw in on the left midway into the Pars half. Playing the ball off Goodwillie he took the return on the edge of the box and his shot found the top left corner of Gill’s net. 0-2

Kyle Turner replaced Iain Wilson two minutes later and McManus was on the end of a corner but sent his shot halfway up the McCathie Stand

Running on to an O’Hara flick, McManus sent the ball through to Fraser Murray. As he ran towards the left side of the goalkeeper Vajs took him down. Referee David Dickinson pointed to the spot and the Pars had a 60th minute penalty which was was dispatched low into the bottom left by Kevin O’HARA 1-2.

Five minutes later Edwards flashed the ball across the face of goal and Dow was unlucky at the far post. At this stage both sides introduced a substitute. Clyde sub Jamie Bain for Craig Howie, and for Dunfermline Dom Thomas for Fraser Murray.

Turner’s 69th minute drive from 20 yards out was tipped around his post by Mjas and then he followed that up by holding from the corner on the right. Thomas was then able to send a free kick into the box but E Murray just couldn’t get on to it.

With fifteen minutes remaining a brilliant Thomas evading his three markers got him to the left byeline but no one was there to accept his cut back.

Lewis McCann was thrown on in 84 minutes and Matty Bowman went off as Dunfermline desperately tried to hang on to their 11 game unbeaten record. The much sought after equaliser was teed up by Dow feeding the ball into the Clyde box for McMANUS to draw the keeper and net from eight yards. 2-2

Drama followed with a winner for the Pars in the first minute of time added on. A Turner free kick from 40 yards out took a touch off Paul WATSON, the Clyde keeper fumbled low at his left hand post and ball ended up in the net.

The win was significant since it took the Pars to twelve points and the certainty of being seeded in the draw for the next round on Sunday.

DUNFERMLINE: Cammy Gill: Matty Bowman (Lewis McCann 84), Paul Watson, Euan Murray (c), Josh Edwards: Ryan Dow, Fraser Murray (Dom Thomas 67), Iain Wilson (Kyle Turner 53), Kerr McInroy, Kevin O’Hara, Declan McManus
SUBS NOT USED: Steven Whittaker, Miller Fenton, Lucas Berry, Ben Swinton (GK).
SCORERS: O’Hara (60 pen.), McManus (87), Watson (90+1)

CLYDE: Matej Vajs: Craig Howie (Jamie Bain 67), Matthew Shiels, Martin McNiff, Scott Rumsby, Barry Cuddihy, Mark Lamont, David Goodwillie (c), Ally Love (Jay Henderson 78), Ross Cunningham, Lloyd Robertson.
SUBS NOT USED: Kristoffer Syvertsen, Josh Jack, David Mitchell (GK)
SCORERS: Love (35), Lamont (51)

REFEREE: David Dickinson
WEATHER: Cloudy 10C

NEXT MATCH: Scottish Championship (home) v Hearts, Friday 20th November, kick off 7.45pm at East End Park and live on BBC Scotland.

Half Time Draw Number 100009554 won £270

Views : 4,390

Related Stories

© 2021 ParsTV and Dunfermline Athletic

  • Dunfermline 3-2 Clyde
    Sat, 14th Nov 2020

  • Stevie Crawford post Clyde
    Sat, 14th Nov 2020

  • Matty Bowman post Clyde
    Sat, 14th Nov 2020

Check out the Gallery for more photo's -- the images below will scroll through automatically.


Preview Clyde

Saturday, 14th Nov 2020

Betfred Cup (home) Saturday 14th November 2020, kick off 3.00pm behind closed doors at East End Park.

“No game is easy, no matter who you are playing against and what run of form they are in”. That is the view of Euan Murray who predicts Clyde will come to East End Park with a game plan that will major on feeding their target man. “David Goodwillie is a very good football player and we won’t underestimate them. We will make sure that we are up for the game, it’s no different from playing a Championship team.”

Dunfermline need one point to top the group but will have their eye on three points to top the group and become one of the four group winners who can still achieve maximum points and be seeded in the draw for the next round.

When Dunfermline and Clyde last met in the League Cup competition it was their first tie in thirty three years.  The most recent match was played in August 2010 but it wasn’t the easiest for Dunfermline who twice came back from behind to win 3-2.

Clyde`s last win at East End Park was more than 46 years ago, 23 visits back on 16th March 1974.  Their heaviest defeat was in 1964 when an Alex Ferguson hat trick sent the Bully Wee home on the end of a 7-2 drubbing. 

Milestones v Clyde (Home)

Last Victory | 24-08-2010 | W | 3-2 | League Cup
Last Defeat | 16-03-1974 | L | 2-3 | Division One
Best Victory | 19-09-2008 | W | 7-2 | Division One
Worst Defeat | 17-11-1951 | L | 3-7 | Division Two

Over the past twelve matches between Dunfermline and Clyde, the Pars have won eight, lost one with three games ending all square. 

Last Twelve Matches v Clyde

24-08-2010 | H | W | 3-2 | League Cup
09-05-2009 | H | D | 1-1 | Division One
15-03-2009 | A | W | 4-1 | Division One
10-01-2009 | H | W | 2-0 | Scottish Cup
20-12-2008 | H | D | 4-4 | Division One
04-10-2008 | A | W | 2-0 | Division One
12-04-2008 | H | W | 2-1 | Division One
23-02-2008 | A | W | 2-1 | Division One
08-12-2007 | H | D | 1-1 | Division One
22-09-2007 | A | L | 1-2 | Division One
05-09-2007 | A | W | 4-1 | Challenge Cup
24-02-2004 | A | W | 3-0 | Scottish Cup

League Cup Meetings

There have been eleven matches between Dunfermline and Clyde in the League Cup. Four have been won by Dunfermline, three by Clyde and four have been drawn.

The first encounter took place on 13th August 1955 at East End Park when newly promoted Athletic provided the shock result on the season’s opening day by totally outplaying the Scottish Cup holders. The crowd of 12,000 could hardly believe their eyes as the Pars, playing with a combination of power and speed, took Clyde to the cleaners.

Charlie Dickson scored twice as the Pars ran out 5-1 winners. Charlie missed the return fixture at Shawfield two weeks later since he had been called up for National Service. Clyde got some revenge with a 3-2 victory.

Harry Haddock, Archie Robertson and Tommy Ring were all fairly prominent Scottish internationalists and still in the Clyde team who faced Dunfermline in the 1959-1960 League Cup. A goalless draw at Shawfield was followed by a 4-1 defeat at East End Park in which another of Clyde’s Scottish caps, George Herd scored twice.

When the clubs met in 1968-1969 it was Dunfermline who were the Scottish Cup holders. On 17th August, goals from Barry Mitchell and Bert Paton ensured a 2-1 home win for the Pars but two weeks later the Bully Wee won 3-0. Stewart Kennedy stood in for the injured Bent Martin but the young goalkeeper’s one and only first-team appearance turned into a calamity as Harry Hood scored a hat-trick.

The following season Clyde were drawn in the same section as Dunfermline again but by then they had lost their top striker Harry Hood to Celtic and went on to appear in seven successive League Cup Finals. Both the 1969-1970 ties finished goalless.

Both clubs were in the Second Division when they next met on 29th August 1977. This season saw the first change in the competition’s format to a straightforward knock out although still played home and away.

The Last League Cup Meeting
Tuesday 24th August 2010, East End Park
Dunfermline 3 Clyde 2

Clyde scored with their first shot at goal.  It was Adam STRACHAN who sent the ball past Chris Smith with a well placed effort from the edge of the box with just under two minutes on the clock. The rest of the half was an extremely one sided affair but the Pars did not get back on level terms until two minutes before the break. Steven Bell headed down a Joe Cardle cross from the left and Andy KIRK finished to record his seventh goal of the season. 1-1

Everyone who expected the home team to run riot in the second half were in for a rude awakening. Certainly Dunfermline started like it was going to be just a matter of time and it was just 50 seconds until the goal but it was Clyde`s. A Cardle cross field ball for Woods was cut out by Strachan on the half way line. He raced off down the left and picked out McCUSKER who thrashed the ball beyond Smith from 15 yards.

With the match entered in its final quarter the home support were growing increasingly frustrated but that all changed when super sub Steven McDOUGALL rammed the ball home and the cup tie was back to all square.

With the threat of extra time looming there was relief when Willie Gibson`s 87th minute corner from the left was headed back from beyond the far post by Bell for KIRK to turn in at close range.

DUNFERMLINE: Chris Smith; Calum Woods, Andy Dowie, Alex Keddie, Austin McCann (c); Willie Gibson, Steven Bell, Alex Burke (Nick Phinn 75), Joe Cardle (Paul Willis 75); Andy Kirk, Pat Clarke (Steven McDougall 63)
SUBS NOT USED: Neil McGregor, Kyle Allison (GK)

CLYDE: John Charles Hutchison; Alistair Park, Ian Gray (Bryan Dingwall 87), Ross McMillan, Alan Lithgow, Murray Henderson, Kevin Finlayson, Marc McCusker (William Sawyers 75), Stuart Mills (Connor Stevenson 61), John Sweeney, Adam Strachan
SUBS NOT USED: Graham Girvan, Jordan Allan (GK)

Recent Form

The Pars are undefeated in their seven League and Betfred Cup matches this season.

Ayr United (A) D 0-0
Queen of the South (H) W 3-2
Alloa Athletic (A) W 4-1
Inverness Caley Thistle (H) W 3-1
Kilmarnock (A) W 3-0
Falkirk (H) W 2-0

Kilmarnock (H) L 0-2
Airdrieonians (A) L 0-5
Dumbarton (A) L 0-1
Peterhead (H) L 0-2
Partick Thistle (H) W 1-0
Falkirk (A) L 1-2
Dumbarton (H) W 3-2

Last Time Out

DUNFERMLINE (v Ayr United):
Owain Fôn Williams: Lewis Mayo, Paul Watson, Euan Murray (c), Josh Edwards: Steven Whittaker: Fraser Murray (Ryan Dow 61), Kyle Turner (Iain Wilson 74), Kerr McInroy, Dom Thomas: Declan McManus (Kevin O’Hara 79).
SUBS NOT USED: Lewis McCann, Miller Fenton, Lucas Berry, Cammy Gill (GK)

CLYDE (v Kilmarnock): David Mitchell: Jamie Bain, Matthew Shiels, Martin McNiff, Scott Rumsby, Barry Cuddihy, Mark Lamont, David Goodwillie, Ally Love (Kristoffer Syvertsen 78), Ross Cunningham (Jay Henderson 64), Lloyd Robertson (Josh Jack 65).
SUBS NOT USED: Matej Vajs (GK)

The referee will be David Dickinson, his first time in charge of a Dunfermline match.

Other Group Match
Kilmarnock v Dumbarton

Views : 4,923

Related Stories

Advertisement :
  • files/Specialist_Cars_RHS_Aug_19_6755.jpg
  • files/00661250_SGV_Test_&_Protect_110x149mm2_8647.jpg
  • files/sms2_red_copy_8356.jpg
  • files/CB_Dunfermline_Programme_Ad_300px_v2_9109.jpg

To top