Dunfermline Athletic

Fixtures : 1999-2000 : St Mirren

Sat, 30th Oct 1999 Kick Off: 15:00

St Mirren 3 Dunfermline 1

Saturday, 30th Oct 1999

SFL First Division:
Barry Lavety (33) 1-0:
David Moss (51) 1-1:
Mark Yardley (56) 2-1:
Andy Tod (og 84) 3-1

Following recent performances a win at Paisley would have been quite a turn around in fortunes.

Eddie May and Hamish French were dropped from the starting line up. Scott Thomson started at right back and on loan Stevie Crawford was up front St Mirren kicked off towards the away end in the pouring rain that was localised to Paisley.

The first Pars pressure came after seven minutes when a Jamie Dolan pass found Steve Hampshire wide on the right The youngster beat the full back and bore in on goal but his shot was easily saved After 20 minutes another piece of good work allowed a cross to Moss but he just failed to connect.

Three minutes later Justin Skinner fed a ball through to his ex Hibs colleague Crawford but his shot went well wide of the left side post. Although there were Pars chances it was far from being all Dunfermline. A 25th minute effort from Yardley rebounded off Andy Tod and Baltacha’s shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Barry LAVETY opened the scoring in 33 minutes when the Pars defence were posted missing and Lavety pushed one of his own players out of the road to shoot past Westwater from 8 yards.

David Moss tried to counter right away but his 20 yard shot was well wide and the Dunfermline play was sloppy and undirected. St Mirren took things slowly with players and ball people on official go slows.

The only other first half incident worthy of note was the penalty that wasn’t given to St Mirren Mendez passed Jason Dair as he advanced into the box from the right. Dair fell and pushed his left hand out to bring the Saints man down. Ref deemed no penalty, play on but most Pars fans were happy to concede at half time that they thought a penalty would have been fair.

Half time: St Mirren 1 Dunfermline 0

Dunfermline sensing change was require brought on John Potter at right back and switched Scott Thomson to left back for the luckless Dair Andy Smith was introduced up front for Hampshire and all of a sudden the tempo increased

With five minutes Dunfermline had three chances. Smith teed up Crawford but his weak shot went for a corner David Moss came storming in to almost connect with his head and next Potter found Smith on the edge of the box and he laid it back for Skinner to shoot. Yet again a less than lethal shot was saved by the fumbling keeper and Smith was unlucky not to capitalise

The Pars troops geed up the team and in 51 minutes a goal was brilliantly created by David MOSS A through ball from the right was dummied by Moss who let it fall to Crawford. Craw was left clear and homed in on goal. He left his shot too late though and the keeper saved for the rebound to fall to Moss on the left. Moss shot through between two defenders on the goal line and showed great emotion on opening his goal scoring account with the Pars. 1-1

The lift that this goal gave to the team was sadly removed when Mark YARDLEY scored four minutes later. A fairly harmless shot caught out Ian Westwater and he could only wave and blink at the ball as it soared over him into the net.

Scott Thomson had a shot deflected for a corner after 73 minutes. Yardley stuck another over the crossbar and then with ten minutes left a Westwater clearance bounced over Hugh Murray and Crawford was presented with another perfect opportunity but his shot was wide. Westie did have a good save three minutes later but then Andy TOD and Yardley went for a cross from the left and the Pars man sent the ball into the net. 3-1

Three minutes from time Stewart Petrie ran through the centre and laid off a perfect pass to Moss but again the shot was wide.

Saints manager Tom Hendrie was sent to the stand after he protested strongly about an off the ball incident two minutes from time that left Barry McLaughlin with a broken nose There were words between Smithy and McLaughlin but none of the officials saw any infringement

A defeat and dejection for the Pars. The next two matches are at home against Raith, who are now on the same number of points as the Pars and against promotion contenders, Livingston who are just one point behind the two Fife teams. Victories are going to become absolute necessities.

ST MIRREN: Ludovic Roy: Brian McLaughlin, Scott Walker, Sergei Baltacha, Hugh Murray, Tommy Turner, Iain Nicolson, Ian Ross, Junior Mendes, Mark Yardley, Barry Lavety (Steven McGarry 73)
SUBS NOT USED: Paul Rudden, Ryan Robinson
SCORERS: Lavety (33), Yardley (55), Tod (og 84)

DUNFERMLINE: Ian Westwater: Scott Thomson, Andy Tod, Brian Reid, Jason Dair (John Potter 45): Justin Skinner, David Moss, Jamie Dolan (Hamish French 63), Stewart Petrie: Steven Hampshire (Andy Smith 45), Stevie Crawford.
SCORERS: Moss (51)
YELLOW CARD: Hampshire (43), Dolan (61), Thomson (86)

REFEREE: T Brown (Edinburgh)

NEXT MATCH: Bells Scottish First Division v Raith Rovers (home), Saturday 6th November 1999

League Position 2nd (6 points behind St Mirren)

Views : 606

ParsTV Highlights To Follow for First team matches.

Match Photos To Follow.

Advertisement :
  • /files/pstwebsitead_0172.jpg
  • files/sms2_red_copy_8356.jpg
  • /files/business_clubadvert_3633.jpg
  • files/PF_logo_8205.jpg

To top