Dunfermline Athletic

Good to be back

Friday, 20th Feb 2015

When Ryan Williamson returned to competitive action this week in the under 20s match at Kilmarnock, it was his first match since 22nd November.

Having recovered from his dislocated knee cap, Ryan told the website:-

"I had only had a week of training when I was told that I would be involved on Tuesday. Obviously I was looking forward to it and was told just to go out and enjoy it. Thankfully I managed to get through the ninety minutes even though near the end of the game, I felt my legs going a bit.

"I was just delighted to get back out with the boys and get game time under my belt. Even though I still had my brace on I was still around and about the boys doing jobs.

"It is not the same watching the game. When you think you could be out there making an impact, you just want to be out there helping the boys. It is frustrating in that way but I am now just happy to be edging closer and closer now."

Ryan's knees both stiffened up after the game and he was told by John Potter to make sure that he did a full cool down.

"I did half an hour on the bike to get the legs going. I was in a fair bit of pain especially when I was lying in my bed in the morning. I didn't think I was ever going to be able to get up."

Understandably Ryan might have felt like nursing his way back into action just to make sure that his knee did not dislocate again.

"I was told that when I went back into games that my knee needed to be stronger than what it was before. I have to keep strengthening it to decrease the chances of it happening again."

The 18 year old has watched the horror of his injury incident over and over again on Pars TV but he still can't see what happened.

"The boy has tackled me from behind but it wasn't malice. He obviously caught me but I am not sure if my studs got caught in the ground.

"I am praying that it doesn't happen again. I have had wee niggles before but never an injury like that where it has kept me out for quite a while. I never actually realised just how frustrating and annoying it is."

Successfully through his rehab now, Ryan's waiting is over and he is ready to go.

"When I was sitting about I was just wishing that I was out there. It was important that I kept my spirits up because it was getting to the point where I didn't want to rush myself back but I wanted to get back as quickly as I could really.

"Kenny Murray has told me not to worry about going into tackles; just go back to playing the way that I was before. I can't go into tackles fearing that my knee will go again, I need to blank that and get on with my normal game."

On Tuesday Ryan's aim was to do as well as he could and get through the game successfully. He continued:-

"We have such a big squad now and there will be more and more boys coming forward. I suppose it does leave the manager with a problem but it is a good problem to have. You'd rather have a lot to select from rather than be struggling to fill places. Hopefully I will be involved over the next week and get my chance when it comes."

Views : 3,766

Related Stories

Advertisement :
  • /files/5998_Lifeline.jpg
  • /files/youngpars_2016_9593.jpg
  • /files/KiltCompany_280_2285.jpg
  • files/Specialist_Cars_RHS_Aug_19_6755.jpg

To top